(Inspired and permitted by the Washington Area Bicyclist Association Code of Conduct):
In order to foster a fun, inclusive and safe environment, members commit to the following when they are in an RPCV/W Space:
- Think: I acknowledge that I exist in a society built on unequal and unjust power structures. I agree that I have a responsibility to interrogate my privileges and use my power to help make RPCV/W spaces increasingly safe, inclusive, and supportive for everyone.
- Act: I agree that RPCV/W will not tolerate racist, sexist, discriminatory, homophobic, intolerant, or hateful speech of any kind, whether directed to an individual or more generally.
- Reflect: I understand that my actions may have greater impact over my intentions and it is my responsibility to consider my impact and accept feedback. I will work to improve accordingly and do better.
I understand if I do not adhere to these community guidelines, I will be held accountable by the RPCV/W Board of Directors. Restorative justice practices will be the first step to remedy the situation. Restorative justice is defined as procedures to examine the harmful impact of an action and then determine what can be done to repair that harm while holding the person who caused it accountable for their actions. Restorative justice practices will be prioritized, but the following consequences may be used at our discretion: removal from the space, removal from the organization, etc.
The RPCV/W Board of Directors will hold all partners (collaborating organizations, service providers, vendors, etc) to these standards as well.
- As fellow RPCVs and as members of the RPCV/W Board, we wish for all RPCV/W held spaces to be fun, inclusive and safe spaces for all. We welcome and value the diversity in our members and their opinions. We expect our members to treat each other with respect, kindness and understanding. We expect our community members to adjust their behavior if, despite their best intentions, they harm someone. We will not tolerate racist, sexist, discriminatory, homophobic, intolerant, or hateful speech of any kind, whether directed to an individual or more generally.
- RPCV/W spaces include but are not limited to: RPCV/W website, social media, facebook groups, in-person events, online events, meetings, and all communications.
- RPCV/W Mission: To foster a collaborative, inclusive, and anti-racist community of RPCVs, family, friends, and supporters in the Washington D.C. area by providing a space for all RPCVs (including Black, Indigenous, and People of Color) to engage, develop, support and connect with one another while they adapt to the different phases of life; and to provide professional and personal development and service opportunities for its members to give back to the D.C. community.
- Disclaimer: Under the Internal Revenue Code, RPCV/W as an 501(c)(3) organization is absolutely prohibited from directly or indirectly participating in, or intervening in, any political campaign on behalf of (or in opposition to) any candidate for elective public office. RPCV/W is not responsible for the posts of its members, but will moderate activity on its official platforms to ensure that content falls within its guidelines. For more information on the restriction of political content on RPCV/W platforms, please visit the IRS website at this link.
Guidelines for the Facebook Group
To keep this page in the spirit of peace and friendship, we reserve the right to delete comments that include any of the following:
- Violent, obscene, profane, hateful, or racist language;
- Threats or defamatory statements against any person or Organization;
- Solicitations, advertisements, or endorsements of any financial, commercial or non-governmental entities;
- Comments that suggest or encourage illegal activity;
- Excessive off-topic posts by a single user (as defined by the Board);
- Repetitive posts copied and pasted by multiple users;
- Ad hominem attacks; and,
- Any other content that the RPCV/W Board may deem inappropriate.
When using hashtags to promote posts, please use the following method:
With almost 10,000 members and only a handful of admins, we may miss something. If you see a post that goes against our rules, please it or tag one of the following conatcs for review.
- @Jenna Tallia Smith, @Kenneth Goughnour
- Board Response (Jenna Tallia Smith and Kenneth Goughnour) will review the post and make a decision. The full board will then be notified of the incident and action taken in 24 hours.
Posts will be deleted if:
- Any of the above guidelines are violated.
- A deleted post will result in a strike. Upon receiving three strikes that user will be banned from the RPCV/W social media group(s).
To learn more about the RPCV/W Facebook Group:
- If you're a new member and would like to know more about our group, please contact Kenneth Goughnour [email protected].